Monday, July 24, 2006

Snowflake Fair Isle Baby Beanie

This is the second beanie I have knitted for Rowan. It is my third attempt at fair isle knitting, the pattern is quite tedious but well worth it. Its a really beautiful beanie, but if I was to attempt this again I would knit the bottom of the beanie in double strand as the weight of the yarn in the snowflake pattern distorts the beanie and makes it sit wrong.
Again I used scrap baby yarn and i have just about run out of the purple. The cream is from a 200g ball of baby wool from Bendigo Woollen Mills. They are a great source of quality bulk yarn available by mail order if you live outside of Bendigo Victoria (Australia). The purple is this beautiful italian wool called Grignasco and is extrafine merino. Absolutly gorgeous wool but rather expensive - $11AU for 50g. I bought this in a range of colours and knitted a baby blanket for Rowan and some booties to give away as gifts.

As you can see, Rowan wasn't interested in modelling it for you. Its still a bit big for him as I knitted it to fit a 9 month old baby and he isn't quite there yet. I knitted the cuff in reverse stocking stitch to make a rolled effect. My tension is still a bit off in between the needles, but a vast improvement on my first beanie.

I will post the graph and pattern I used shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home