Sunday, August 06, 2006

Craft exhibition

I went to a craft exhibition yesterday. I wasn't going to bother as these things tend to be a waste of money but my mother-in-law was going and it gave me a chance to get away from home. I took Rowan along which I knew was a risk but it would have given me an "out" if the fair was particularly boring.

As expected, the craft fair was a bit of a rip off - paid $13 for a whole lot of advertising. At least half the stalls were about scrap-booking which is not my thing. There were 3 wool stalls - one from a store I used to frequent called Crossways Wool & Fabrics based in Subiaco. I had a look over their wares and nothing has grabbed me like some of the wool available online these days. I did however sign up for a crochet course as I really want to know if a person can be BOTH a knitter and do crochet - not either or. It starts in a few weeks and I really am looking forward to it.

In other news, I bought some more sock wool of ebay. Four ball sof Opal Prisma in various colours for $7 a ball. They was quite a few sockenwolle balls at the craft fair yesterday - all for $15 plus so I am very happy with the bargain. They will make good presents for christmas.

Here is a snap of a recently finished pair: (edited to add....bloody blogger refused to let me up load this image...stay tuned)

They are a rather loose pair of socks and the next pair I will cast on fewer stiches. Sadly this pair is going to "fall asleep" more than the pair I knitted previously. Bit to loose in the rib, and there wasnt enough of it!

I have started the next pair and now onto the heel. I love how the cables are coming out and also love the purple. After a K1P1 rib, I am using a P3, Cable3 (K into from of second stitch on left needle, then knit into back loop of first stich of left needle, slip both off together) repeat. The pattern has been bastardised from Katie's blog, which is a trimmer sock than the one I used for the red strippy socks. I hope to finish this pair in a few weeks so I can knit something for myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

You CAN be a knitter and crochet too - but on the whole, garments look much better if they are knitted, but crochet is a lot quicker to produce results - good luck!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee I love that pattern with the purple yarn and cables. Let me know how you go with the crochet. I am moving to Perth at the end of the year and will be looking for a LYS and classes, K&B etc etc

11:12 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I can knit but I can't crochet, I would like to be able to do both. I can trim my knitting with very basic crochet if need be but that is all. Many of the knitters in our knitting group can crochet but I think they do more knitting than crochet.

Lovely socks and I have noticed that you have signed up for Sock Wars!! We have been discussing this in our knitting group, no one has signed up yet though.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home